You may be asking, “What is an isolated Study?” An Isolated study is when you isolate a word in the scriptures to see how the word is used throughout the document.
Today we are doing an Isolated study on the term “Satan”. One of the biggest flaws in the doctrine of satan is that we personify it. We make it this supernatural divine being instead of the “adversary” it really is. Take a look at how the Word uses this term and we can begin to see the bigger picture.
Satan (G4567)- Satanas- adversary (one who opposes another in purpose or act)
Hebrew Root word: Satan (H07854)- adversary; one who withstands. Personal or national adversary. Nonhuman adversary.
—–Root of the Hebrew word: Satan (H07853)- to be or act as an adversary, resist, oppose.
Satan In The NT Scriptures
- Matthew 4:10– Then Jesus *said to him, “Go, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only.’”
- Matthew 12:26– If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then will his kingdom stand?
If Satan is a single being, how can Satan cast out Satan? If he is not a single being, is he omnipresent like God? If he is, does that go against scripture? If Satan is a “spirit” or “manifestation”, that are opposed of God, there can be many Satans.
- Matthew 16:23– But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”
Why does Jesus specifically call Peter Satan? He doesn’t say acting like Satan or being used of Satan, Jesus simply calls him Satan.
- Mark 1:13– And He was in the wilderness forty days being tempted by Satan, and He was with the wild beasts, and the angels were ministering to Him.
So the picture here is Jesus with Satan, wild beasts and angels ministering to Jesus? Are these all singular, literal beings? Is Jesus being tempted by things that oppose the will of God, while He is amongst beasts and the angels ministering to Him to strengthen and encourage?
- Mark 3:23– And He called them to Himself and began speaking to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan?
- Mark 3:26– If Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but he is finished!
Here we have Satan vs himself. Destroying and devouring himself. Writing is different than Satan vs Satan.
- Mark 4:15– These are the ones who are beside the road where the word is sown; and when they hear, immediately Satan comes and takes away the word which has been sown in them.
- Mark 8:33– But turning around and seeing His disciples, He rebuked Peter and *said, “Get behind Me, Satan; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”
- Luke 10:18– And He said to them, “I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning.
- Luke 11:18– If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul.
Beelzebul is a fake, powerless, made up god. What is the definition of “kingdom”?
- Luke 13:16– And this woman, a daughter of Abraham as she is, whom Satan has bound for eighteen long years, should she not have been released from this bond on the Sabbath day?”
How and in what way did Satan bind this woman? This can not be literal. A literal being Satan did not steal a woman for 18 years. Instead, she was bound by the law. Jesus crushes the religious leaders publically and the people rejoice.
- Luke 22:3– And Satan entered into Judas who was called Iscariot, belonging to the number of the twelve.
- Luke 22:31– “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat;
Demanded permission from who? For earthly punishment?
- John 13:27– After the morsel, Satan then entered into him. Therefore Jesus *said to him, “What you do, do quickly.”
- Acts 5:3– But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the prices of the land?
- Acts 26:18– to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.’
- Romans 16:20– The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.
Did this happen soon? If so, then Satan is crushed and finished. Who is this Satan?
- 1 Corinthians 5:5– I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
How could a physical earthly Paul deliver someone to Satan for specifically the destruction of the flesh? The only way is that if Satan is not a “spiritual being or person”, but a physical person, group etc.
- 1 Corinthians 7:5– Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
Does self-control overcome Satan?
- 2 Corinthians 2:11– so that no advantage would be taken of us by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his schemes.
- 2 Corinthians 11:14– No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
- 2 Corinthians 12:7– [ A Thorn in the Flesh ] Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself!
The thorn was a messenger of Satan? What do you think this was? Maybe the people that are a “thorn” in your life are there to keep you right with God.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:18–For we wanted to come to you—I, Paul, more than once—and yet Satan hindered us.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:9– that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders,
- 1 Timothy 1:20– Among these are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan so that they will be taught not to blaspheme.
This, factually, is not a spiritual being but real people
- 1 Timothy 5:15– for some have already turned aside to follow Satan.
- Revelation 2:9– ‘I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich), and the blasphemy by those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
The Jewish temple, known as the synagogue of Satan, was not a place of devil worship but of the law. The law opposes, becomes an adversary to God.
- Revelation 2:13– ‘I know where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is; and you hold fast My name, and did not deny My faith even in the days of Antipas, My witness, My faithful one, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.
If this is a spiritual realm, how was a faithful witness (Antipas) killed there?
- Revelation 2:24– But I say to you, the rest who are in Thyatira, who do not hold this teaching, who have not known the deep things of Satan, as they call them—I place no other burden on you.
- Revelation 3:9– Behold, I will cause those of the synagogue of Satan, who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie—I will make them come and bow down at your feet, and make them know that I have loved you.
How can you say you are Jews but are not? The reason is because scripturally, you are not Jewish by where you born, but by your faith. New Jerusalem!
- Revelation 12:9–And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.
The great dragon was called the devil (accuser) and Satan (adversary). Anything that comes against you accusing you as an adversary…is the devil or a Satan.
- Revelation 20:2– And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;
Who is the serpent of old?
- Revelation 20:7– When the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his prison,
Church Fathers & Satan
- COMING SOON!
Have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org